One dead, four wounded in Hamburg supermarket knife attack

One dead and several injured by knifeman in busy Hamburg supermarket

One dead and several injured by knifeman in busy Hamburg supermarket

They said they were unable to immediately determine the motive behind the attack and were "continuing to investigate every possibility". The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group releases a video purportedly featuring the attacker announcing he would carry out an "operation" in Germany, and presenting himself as a "soldier of the caliphate".

The official noted that despite being considered ato be an Islamist, the man was not viewed as unsafe.

The supermarket where the attack took place is located in Barmbek, a northeast neighborhood in the northern port city of Hamburg.

There are reports that he is known Islamist and shouted "Allahu Akbar" ("God is greatest" in Arabic) as he fled.

"What does it say when they won't release his name?" asked Clare Lopez, vice president of research and analysis at the conservative Center for Security Policy in Washington. The attacker, who was acting alone, was lightly injured as he was caught, they said.

The terrorist was reportedly known to police before this attack, but he as not considered risky.

Authorities said the suspect tried to flee but was overcome by eyewitnesses, who restrained him until police arrived on the scene.

Colombia 'will not recognise' Venezuela's assembly vote
Most were young men, shot during clashes with the security forces. "The Constituent Assembly opens a path to peace", said Maduro. Despite this being quickly reversed, the decision ignited a protest movement against socialist President Nicolas Maduro .

Germany has been hit by a spate of attacks, the deadliest of which struck a Christmas market in Berlin in December 2016, leaving 12 dead.

Police have identified the dead man as a 50-year-old believed to be a German citizen.

Authorities are trying to determine the man's nationality but said he had a birth certificate from the United Arab Emirates and was seeking papers from the Palestinian Authority mission in Berlin.

A 35-year-old Turkish man finally managed to overpower him using a pole, Spiegel Online reported, suffering injuries himself in the process.

Mr Scholz said the attacker had been due to be deported but that his expulsion had been delayed because he did not have identity papers.

Photo The police searched a refugee shelter in Hamburg, Germany, on Friday in connection with a stabbing attack in a supermarket. He then left the supermarket and continued to attack people before being stopped by passers-by.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.